Welcome to Bryant's Blueberries, a pick your own blueberry farm located in Southern Indiana within 1/2 hour of downtown Louisville, KY
Derek, Dale & Diane Bryant 6900 Oak Park Rd NE,New Salisbury, IN 47161 (812) 366-3592
We are now closed for the season. Hope to see you next year. Make sure to email us at email@example.com from your current email address. Thanks for making this a good season in spite of all the rain.
1) For sanitary reasons we do not allow dogs in the blueberry patch.
2) Your picking containers need to be preweighed.
3) We prefer cash or checks, but accept plastic with a 3% upcharge.
4) We are always closed on Sundays.
5) We allow picking in the rain unless there is lightning in the area. (See recommendation #4 below.)
1) Chill blueberries immediately. For each hour unrefrigerated you lose one day of its 3 week refrigerated life expectancy.
2) Do not rinse berries until ready to eat.
3) Most people start picking the bushes at the roadway. Consequently the bushes at the far end of the row are not picked at all. Go to the far end of the row and work back to the roadway.
4) You may pick in the rain or after a rain, but you should realize that wet berries are more perishable. You could flash freeze on cookie sheets if wanting to freeze them. You can spread them out and run a fan over them and then refrigerate (but remember recommendation #1).
From Louisville or New Albany:
Take I-64 west to the Georgetown Exit (#118). Go right (west) on SR 64 for 10 miles. Turn left on Oak Park Rd (opposite Insight Eye Care-before New Salisbury stop light!) 1 mile on left.
Go north on SR 135 toward New Salisbury. Pass under train trestle. Turn right on Spring Branch Rd (first street beyond the "New Salisbury" sign.) Turn Right at first stop. ½ mile on left. (If you miss Spring Branch Rd, turn right at New Salisbury stop light onto SR 64 and right at the first street, Oak Park Rd. 1 mile on left.) From Palmyra: Take SR 135 south to the New Salisbury stoplight. Turn left on SR 64; go about 1/4 mile to Oak Park Rd (the first street). Turn right on Oak Park Rd (opposite Insight Eye Care). 1 mile on left.
Our blueberry varieties ripen in the following order:
Duke (sweet, non acidic, flavor improves with chilling)
BlueJay (a sweet, firm berry that cooks well)
Patriot (a full flavor berry that tastes somewhat like Darrow)
BlueRay (first picks are full flavored; as they have more time to ripen they are some of the sweetest in the patch)
BlueCrop (good all around berry)
Darrow (an extremely full flavored berry with a high amount of acidity until the end of the season; ripens very gradually; it is picked from about week 2 through the end of the season)
Brigitta (a late but sweet berry--most late berries are more acidic)
Late Blue & Coville (very tart, limited quantities)